Are you in a relationship with a narcissist?
Narcissists can show up in more than just our romantic relationships; they can show up in parent/child relationships, with co-workers, members of groups, employees, friends, relatives.
Take this short true/false quiz to see if you are in a relationship with a narcissist:
1. I feel energized after spending time with this person.
2. My feelings are welcomed and often validated.
3. Support around life’s problems is offered equally.
4. Frustrations are expressed in a clear, respectful manner.
5. Insults or name-calling are not used in my relationship.
6. I don’t ever feel manipulated in this relationship.
7. Sharing new ideas is welcomed and met with interest.
8. My time is valued and respected.
9. Physical boundaries are respected. We never physically hurt each other.
10. I do not feel guilty taking care of myself in this relationship.
If you answered false to one or more of these statements there may be some toxic elements in your relationship. The more that you answered false, the more likely you are in a toxic relationship with a narcissist.
Here are some signs you may be in a relationship with a narcissist:
You feel drained after spending time with someone.
You barely can can get a word in during the conversation.
The person is critical of you and may even call you names.
You feel like you need to ask permission to do something.
You feel like you are walking on eggshells around this person.
You notice you change your behavior to avoid their wrath.
You feel less and less confident around this person.
You often feel angry around this person.
You sometimes feel scared around this person.
You do not feel safe to be yourself around this person.
You feel like you need to do things their way.
You find yourself wishing you were somewhere else when with this person.
OK, so you are in a toxic relationship with a narcissist. Now what?
You do not have to go it alone anymore.
At Best Life Therapy we help people break free of toxic relationships with narcissists and avoid entering into new ones. Sign up here for a free phone consultation!
Tracey Ashcraft, MA, LPC. Best Life Therapy. 303-668-5995