What is anxiety?
Each of us has times when we feel stressed or intense fear or worried. These feelings are normal and are the body’s built-in warning system for danger. When these feelings become more frequent and intrusive in your life then you may be dealing with an anxiety disorder or symptoms of depression. These are serious but treatable conditions and should be diagnosed by a medical professional or psychotherapist. So, how do you know when to get help? Review the questions below and the more “yes” answers, the more likely you are to have an anxiety disorder:
- Are you so worried you have trouble getting to sleep?
- Do you feel “on edge” most of the time?
- Do you have intrusive thoughts about bad things that could happen?
- Is your anxiety getting in the way of you getting work done?
- Are you easily startled?
- Do you feel like you’re losing control?
- Do you avoid certain activities or social situations because they make you nervous?
- Do you experience sudden heart pounding, sweating, and fear with out warning?
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms you may be dealing with anxiety or depression. These symptoms can begin to affect your quality of life. If anxiety is ruining your life then it is probably time to get some help. Call your doctor and/or a psychotherapist. A counselor/ psychotherapist can help you understand the root cause of these symptoms and help you to feel better. In a safe, calm, supportive place you can work together to help you discover how to live your best life.
Tracey Ashcraft, MA, LPC is a Licensed Professional Counselor serving Boulder, Longmont, Berthoud and Loveland, Colorado. She has extensive training on the treatment of depression and anxiety. If you think you may be dealing with anxiety or depression and want to feel better, give Tracey a call at 303-668-5995 or send her an e-mail. She is here to help.